Wee Care Daycare is committed to the prevention of child maltreatment.
Alberta’s Duty to Report Law requires all Wee Care Daycare employees to report any situation they believe to be abusive to a child, including but not limited to emotional, physical, spiritual, sexual abuse and neglect.
1. Employees, students, or volunteers who suspect a child has been maltreated or is at risk for maltreatment will inform the director or license holder of their suspicion and their intention to call Northwest Child and Family Services Authority immediately. If necessary, immediate medical attention will be provided if the child has sustained injuries.
2. Employees will not discuss suspected maltreatment or intention to seek medical treatment with the family until contact has been made with Northwest Child and Family Services Authority.
3. No employee will advise someone not to report suspicions of child abuse or try to stop the person from reporting or consulting with Northwest Child and Family Services Authority.
4. There will be no disciplinary action for anyone who consults on or reports suspicions of child abuse.
5. If an employee, student, or volunteer has any further suspicions of maltreatment or new information, another report must be made immediately.
6. If reporting is after regular business hours, leaving a message and waiting for a return call may be necessary. The RCMP will be contacted if the person making the report believes the child is in immediate danger.
7. All employees will co-operate fully with the investigation efforts of Northwest Child and Family Services Authority and emergency personnel.
8. Employees, students, or volunteers who report suspected child maltreatment will prepare a written report that documents the facts before contacting Northwest Child and Family Services Authority. The report should be signed, dated, and forwarded to the director, who will store it in a secure cabinet, separate from the child’s general file.
9. All emergency numbers and the number to Northwest Child and Family Services Authority are posted in the office by phone and in each classroom.